Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Seek God

As a child and as a parent, I have always enjoyed the game of "Hide and Seek". I'm not sure that the game necessarily teaches young people good social skills, but it is a fun game to play. Depending on where you played the game and the confines with which you had to work, it could be a really simple game or incredibly difficult. I remember playing an advanced version of the game as a young teenage counselor at a camp on Mt. Rainier, Washington. We played in the snow over 200 acres of forest, trails, hills, and rocks. It took us more than 2 hours to find everyone. Now that is a serious game.

It's also true that some people are really good at the hiding part and some are better at the seeking part. I have always enjoyed the seeking part much more. There is something about being perfectly still and quiet, sometimes even in tight or small spaces, that just doesn't excite me. However, looking for someone and finding them has always been exciting to me. I even like the hunt of looking for that missing item at home or school, that others have not been able to find. I enjoy the hunt. I enjoy the search.

Many people think that God is like that person hiding somewhere in the wilderness hoping to be found. It is true that He desires for us to seek after Him. The difference in seeking after God is that He is not hiding. He has made it clear through His Word, His people and His creation that He is God. He gives us a choice, but He also shows us the way.



Several scriptures come to mind. In John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." We read in Hosea 10:12, "Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the Lord, until He comes and showers righteousness on you." In Matthew 6:33, we read that we are to "seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."



As a Christian school, our goal is to point people to Jesus Christ as Savior, Lord, and Son of God. Stop hiding and let us all seek Him daily.

No comments: