Thursday, July 16, 2009

Summer Time and Reading


Wow! It is difficult for me to believe that summer break is almost over for those of us with school aged children or those of us that also work in a school setting. As I type these words I am looking out my window at a beautiful lake, there are a couple of birds chasing each other, and it looks as though the dark clouds are about to open up and release rain for the next several hours.

I love the summer time for so many reasons. I love the beach, time with family and friends, a few extra rounds of golf than normal, and the overall casual feel of the season. But I have always loved and looked forward to the summer time because I find it easier to invest more time reading books. My current list of topics to read about include biographies, leadership principles, Bible studies, history, and even a few just for fun fiction.

For years I have told students and staff that "leaders are reader". I believe that a true leader is someone that is constantly reading to improve themselves, their relationships or their organization. I have come to the conlusion that if you are not reading regularly you are not growing personally, professionally, or spiritually. In fact, as a school as do so many other schools, we require students in the summer to read books that we have selected to keep them in the habit of reading. Research indicates that children and teenagers who love reading have comparatively higher IQs. They are also more creative and do better in school and college.

I want to suggest to each of you reading this blog, to consider doing a little research on the subject as well. Just a quick google search of the "importance of reading" will bring to light much research on the topic. It is startling to me that so many people today do not acknowledge or even believe in the importance of literacy in the world. As an educator it is one of the most important tools we can give our students for the future.

Pat Williams, Owner of the NBA Orlando Magic and a very respected businees man, wrote in his book, Read for Your Life,
"we are in danger of losing our very souls - that part of us that actively
engages with the hearts and minds of others, the part that lives on into
eternity, reaches across time, and spans the generations - due to
preoccupation".
We claim we are too busy to take time to read. I would propose that we are too busy not to take time to read. Just like physical excercise is important for our bodies to remain healthy, active, and alert, so is the importance of reading to keep our minds sharp and healthy.

It is not too late. Pick up a good book today and begin to excercise your mind. That 30 minutes in front of the tv watching that same show you already watched is a good place to start. If the average american spends anywhere from 2-4 hours a day in front of the tv, as current data indicates, then trade some of that time for reading. If we are honest with ourselves, we really are preoccupied by a lot of things some good, some bad, that we could easily trade for time reading.

I will conclude my comments with a challenge however. In fact, many people disagree with me on this issue. However, I believe that it is not just important to read challenging books and new material, but that we must also concern ourselves with the content of what it is that is being read. Quality of content is better than quantity, even though I do believe strongly that in most cases more is better than less in regards to how much one reads. For instance, I would rather my children read a shorter book with good moral values and beliefs than a longer maybe even more challenging book that is full of ideas and beliefs that are contrary to a healthy young person. Reading is a great way to be stretched to think about new ideas and grow in understanding of the world around us. What one reads has the potential to shape and mold many of the beliefs and values that they will carry with them through life. For that very reason, I believe and try to practice on a daily basis that I will spend as much or more time reading from God's Word - The Bible than I will with whatever else I may be reading. That is my personal belief and practice and not one that I would place on others, but it does keep my reading and time in front of the tv somewhat in balance.

Read On!!!

No comments: