Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Running on Empty


Have you ever had one of those days when there simply is not enough caffeine on the planet to keep you going or you simply just can't get enough energy to keep moving. I had one of those days a couple of days ago, and it just came out of nowhere, or so it seemed at the time. However, looking back on the day a few days removed now, I can attest to the simple fact that I was running on empty. I had just had a long day, few hours of sleep the night before, skipped lunch for an unscheduled meeting that ran a couple of hours, went to Home Depot to buy supplies to do some work in the basement, got busy taping and mudding a room in the basement and the next thing I know it is after midnight. There was a time, and I hate to admit it now, but it was quite a few years back, when I could have survived a day or two in a row like that and found the energy to go skiing all day and night and still make it to Dr. Allen's Psychology class at 8:00 a.m. However, those days are long gone for this old boy.

Why do we do that to ourselves? Why do we run ourselves into the ground, not sleep enough, or eat properly and then wonder how we got sick and run down. I believe one reason is that we think we have to go, go, go. Do you remember the days, not that long ago I might add, when someone would call you on the phone (ok, that does age me) and ask you a question, and you were actually not expected to give them an answer for an hour or two or maybe even a day or two. Do you remember when you actually were given time to pray about a decision and seek counsel from others that had gone down a similar path before, and you were not considered lazy or slow, but wise and mature.

I must admit that I miss those days. That is what I remembered the other day. I miss those days. So today I am puting a stake in the ground of my life of almost 45 years now, and I am taking claim of my schedule, my family time, my time with friends, time at my church and working to help those less fortunate in our community and the world at large.

Why do we get tired and find ourselves running on empty? Priorities! If my hope is in God the Father, and Creator and Savior, and not on peoples expectations to define me, I find that I have much more to live and work for in my daily routine.

If I aim to please the Father, then I will find peace and joy and fullfillment in all that I do. In the New Testament in the book of Matthew, at the end of Chapter 6, we are reminded that,

God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we wear?" For the pagans run after all of these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
So what do we do when we are running on empty? Stop and seek after God and his ways. The truth is that when we focus on pleasing God and caring for others we find that we are blessed and have been given much to be thankful for. Recognizing that we are blessed is plenty of fuel to energize us through each and every day. We will find renewed strength and energy when we put others needs before our own.

No comments: