So why do I bring it up today? To be transparent with you I have been thinking about suffering a lot lately. And not for the reasons you may assume. It is not my own circumstance or situation so much that has got me to thinking, but rather my observations of some dear friends that have had to endure more suffering than most of us can even imagine.
In John 16:33 Jesus alerted His disciples when He said, You will have suffering in this world." It is not whether or not we experience adversity but how we respond to it. It is the response that makes the difference. It is when we go through trials and hardships that we have the opportunity to know Christ in a deeper and even more meaningful way. How is that possible?
It is during these times that we can either turn toward God and give Him the glory that He is due and grow in our dependence on His power and will, or we can choose to operate in the ways of the world. The world tells us that we are entitled to comfort, safety, health, and prosperity. That sounds nice, but is not true. God knows that as we endure hardship that a greater purpose is served. In fact that is what the Apostle Paul says in II Corinthians 1:3-5.
3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.
I mentioned earlier that my thoughst have been triggered from watching friends as they endure hardships and setbacks. This is what I have observed in them, that is truly a testament to their love and faith in Jesus Christ. They have faithfully shared their journey with so many people as they deal with difficulties, and they have been transparent in their circumstances. However, as I watch them live out their lives in front of so many people, they are sure to give God the glory that He is due as they call on His name and trust Him with the outcome. And just as Paul mentioned they are able to encourage and comfort others through their suffering.
I don't understand the ways of God, but I do know that His purposes are greater than mine, and His will has an eternal perspective instead of my all too often temporal perspective.
I hope that whatever difficulty may come your way that you continue to faithfully trust in God, and allow your circumstance to glorify God and bless those that watch you as you are going. May the peace of Christ comfort you today. I leave you with this from Psalm 125:2,
2 As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds his people both now and forevermore.
No comments:
Post a Comment