I love the Christmas season. I can still remember quite vividly driving with my mom and dad and sister to my aunt and uncle's house on Christmas Eve. I recall the wonderful times we had visiting (more like wrestling) with my cousins, eating 'till we were sick, and opening gifts from each other and spending the rest of the night playing with the toys or games we received. I remember listening to the adults tell stories and laughing more than usual. I have fond memories of Christmas as a child. I always looked forward to the live Nativity scene at my church, and singing Christmas carols with the residents of the Friendsview Manor in my hometown of Newberg, Oregon. I didn't realize it at the time, but God was softening my heart back then to the many needs of others that we as Christians are called to serve and love. I have always loved the Christmas story of Jesus and how He came to live among us. I love the story of hope and love.
As a young person, it was not difficult for me to realize that I was in need of a Savior, and I was glad to know that Jesus Christ had come to be that for me and all who will follow Him. But I can honestly say that for many years I did not truly grasp the joy and hope of Christmas as a follower of Jesus Christ should. I accepted Jesus as my Savior as a young man, but struggled with making Him Lord of my life. I now realize that joy and peace both come from a life committed to obedience in Christ. It is not restrictive or prohibitive, but rather protective and loving. God cared enough about me (and you) to give me His Word to direct and guide me along the way. Nothing in His Word has ever caused me harm, anxiety, frustration, or guilt. Instead, I have come to appreciate the joy and peace that comes from following Jesus Christ.
I love Christmas because it reminds me of how much God, The Father, Creator and sustainer of life cares for me and for you.
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit" (Romans 15:13)
My wish for you and your family this Christmas season is that you will have a wonderful, relaxing, Christ-filled Christmas!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Pat,
That was great. By the way, I love the whole "blog thing!"
Pill
Mike, you represent my first official comment. Thanks for the encouragement. I am learning quickly, which means I am making lots of mistakes.
Post a Comment