
A few weeks ago I mentioned the importance of the spiritual disciplines of prayer, reading scripture, service, etc. This week I would like to focus on the area of reading and studying scripture. I find it interesting in my own life how I can fluctuate from day to day, week to week, and month to month, as to the amount of time I spend in God's Word. I don't find myself debating the importance of spending time in God's Word and/or the necessity for me to commit it to memory. I just find myself reading a devotional or an inspiring e-mail, or listening to a Christian podcast, and feeling as though my quiet time was maybe good enough. However, I do realize there is no substitute for my own time in The Word. I know that God's Word is, "God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (II Timothy 3:16) I recognize that God's Word can and does speak directly into my life to guide and direct my days. So what keeps me and so many of us from doing what we want and need? I propose that it is the busyness of the day that makes it so difficult at times to spend the good quality and quantity time in God's Word. Sometimes the busy day is full of really good and honorable things, and yet at the end of the day I find myself tired, worn out, and with little left in the tank for God or others.
So, what do we do about it? Simply stated, we make time for God and His Word each and every day. Don't let busyness rob you of the joy of time with God. Begin to memorize scripture for the purpose of [hiding] God's Word in [your] heart that [you] might not sin against God." ( Psalms 119:11)
As the new year begins, my prayer is that each of us at MCS will grow day by day in our faith as we commit to spend more time in God's Word and allow Him to speak to us through His Word. Let us become better disciples together as we meditate day and night on God's Word.
2 comments:
Great words, Pat, and oh so true. Thanks!
Thanks for commenting. Still learning this blog thing. Have a great day in the Lord.
Post a Comment