Monday, April 7, 2008

Encouraged?

I love people who encourage me. In fact, I don't know if I have ever heard someone complain about someone being too encouraging. We all need to be encouraged. Students seek encouragement from parents, teachers, and friends. Adults look for encouragement from spouses, friends, and employers. Encouragement motivates us to do things that seem too difficult. It helps us get through a tough situation. The dictionary.com website defines it this way.

Encourage

–verb (used with object), -aged, -ag·ing.
1. to inspire with courage, spirit, or confidence: His coach encouraged him throughout the marathon race to keep on running.
2. to stimulate by assistance, approval, etc.: One of the chief duties of a teacher is to encourage students.

How is your encouragement profile? Do you encourage those around you, or do you point out their faults and failures? I was reminded this past weekend that I have the less than desirable attribute at times of pointing out an area needing improvement in one of my kids after a ball game, instead of pointing out and encouraging them in the things they did well.

One of the main reasons I began this blog was to be an encouragement to others. I hope that to some extent that is why you are reading these words today. Wouldn't it be a tremendous testimony to our school if we were known by others as a school that encourages one another? I have the privilege of seeing our staff encourage students, families, and one another through some difficult situations. I have seen our families reach out to each other in times of need. Isn't that one of the main reasons we partner together in the education of children? We are here to encourage.

"May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus." Romans 15:5

No comments: